Opposite the Clock Tower, immediately after the liberation from Ottoman yolk the construction of a big cathedral The Assumption of Holy Virgin Mary began. The author of the design is Maas, an Odessa architect, who designed it to resemble the cathedral bearing the same name in Petersburg.
The cathedral was constructed in 1893 –1896 by the master brick-layer Gencho Kanev in honor of the Liberation from Ottoman yolk with Municipal funds and donations from the population. It was sanctified in 1910.
The cathedral is considered to be the emblem of the sea capital of Bulgaria. It is designed in Byzantine style. The wooden iconostasis, wood-carving and the throne are the work of masters from Debar, Macedonia. The main mural paintings were drawn in 1950.
The church is a cultural monument.